Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Crazy about India !

What is it about India that some travellers find it irresistible !

I remember having this conversation; at a dinner get together, with an old Greek couple, now settled in Africa. The old man, he hated India, was constantly complaining about the problems he faced in India, the poor service in taj mahal, Mumbai (back in 70's when he stayed there) and the roads, weather etc.
And, then there was his nice wife, who adored India and can talk endlessly about India, she was the one who invited me to join them for dinner, her trips to lovely palaces in Rajasthan, the Indian friends she made there etc

What can I say "you either like India or hate India”?
The French consulates in India, apparently, have full time counselors / psychiatrists as they face constant problems with some French nationals over staying in India , and one of the psychiatrists has even written a book called "crazy about India"

Here’s a list of what people say about India, in their own words, from travel forums...


"I've always been one to appreciate each day and felt quite blessed to live in such a wonderful country as Australia, but then.........I went to India!! It's a country that resonates so much more with me,....

I too felt ALIVE like I've never felt before. So on return, everything felt really flat and black and white. So now I'm racking my brains to think of a way that I too can combine the pleasure of adventures in India with working there"


"I am a middle aged man 44yrs, traveling alone as my wife refuses to visit or take the kids to India, she does not understand India and has no interest in India, but she understands that India is in my heart and is happy for me to do what I have to do....."

"Though the weather was warm, the people ALL OF THEM were warmer...”

2 comments:

Nomad said...

"heat and dust " , my next reading :(

B.D. said...

As a Westerner I have to say that India is exotic. For some people that means the exotic temples, unusual foods, interesting people, etc. There something alluring about being trapped in a mass of humanity--which sometimes happens to the traveller in India--which is so unlike always being always "comfortably" seperated from other people in Western countries.