Saturday, April 01, 2006

Long Walk to freedom

This is also a good time for me to catch up with my lost reading habit, and looks like this is the season of biographies, i just finished winston churchill's bio
Presently working through Nelson mandela's "long walk to freedom", this one is just amazing ,esp the parts about his 21 years on the robben island,and his initial experiments with non-violence Gandhi style and his justification for ANC's decision to stray away from the path of peace to float a militant wing ( MK )


Here's one of my fave passage

"While I was walking in the city one day, I noticed a white woman in the gutter gnawing on some fish bones. She was poor and apparently homeless….I was used to seeing black beggars on the street ,and it startled me to see a white one. While I normally did not give to African beggars , I felt the urge to give this white woman. In that moment I realized the tricks that apartheid plays on one, for everyday travails of that afflict Africans are accepted as matter of course, while my heart went out to this bedraggled woman. In South Africa , to be poor and black was normal, to be poor and white was a tragedy.


Site Meter

No comments: